Re: ratios

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Tue May 07 21:10:33 2002

RAS> Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 20:42:14 -0400
RAS> From: Richard A Steenbergen

RAS>   D. The applicant shall take steps to ensure that its
RAS>      routes are not announced to Cable & Wireless from
RAS>      another network.
RAS>
RAS> What exactly is this supposed to accomplish?

IANAL, but that doesn't smell right.  Seems sort of... anti-
competitive...

I guess if one is trying to meet the traffic ratio, one could
reroute certain traffic through an intermediary.  Maybe some
nets tried this, met the minimum/geo/ratio requirements, and
there just _had_ to be another way to depeer?

Or maybe they want to peer with ASNs who don't purchase transit?
Perhaps they want the ability to quickly *coughpsilastsummer*
depeer *coughexoduspeersrecently* anyone as they please?

(Can't think of anything more serious at the moment.)

I guess people must vote with wallet and local-pref?

I've joked that we'll peer with anyone who hooks me up with a
hot, geeky gal.  Now I begin to wonder just how kooky that idea
is. ;-)

RAS> I don't suppose they'd take too kindly to an ascii diagram
RAS> which just happens to resemble a middle finger, would
RAS> they? :)

"Hey, what are all these packets with

	 .|..
	`

in the header?!" ;-)

Just wait until IPv6 when people forge source packets with octets
that spell obscene messages when interpretted as ASCII.  Or even
as EBCDIC if 5|<r1pt |<1dd135 get interested in history. ;-)

--
Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence