Re: anybody else been spammed by "no-ip.com" yet?

  • From: Marc MERLIN
  • Date: Tue May 07 01:23:24 2002

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 01:13:34AM -0400, Mike Joseph wrote:
> The major problem I see with this is the need to verify that the
> spamvertised site actually requested or paid for the spam.  After all,
> what's to prevent me from spamming in the name of xyz.com just so I can
> see them shutdown?  More importantly, you need evidence to shut a customer
> and being spamvertised alone is not necessarily sufficient.

Just  to  say that  this  is  not  hypothetical,  before we  eventually  got
permanently  whitelisted  on spamcop,  I  would  routinely get  spamvertised
website complaints on open source projects hosted on sourceforge.net

Spammers would  either list  open source  projects URLs  in their  spams for
various reasons, or the spam would contain the URL of an open source project
(like razor.sourceforge.net, squirrelmail.org, or something like that)

The most distressing part is that all those reports were supposedly reviewed
and approved by humans before being sent.

Sigh...

Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger [email protected] for PGP key