Re: anybody else been spammed by "no-ip.com" yet?

  • From: Ralph Doncaster
  • Date: Mon May 06 19:36:05 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Scott Francis wrote:

> On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 06:01:49PM -0600, [email protected] said:
> [snip]
> > Passing laws and putting on filters don't work.  Depending on each mail
> > server admin to do the right thing doesn't work.  We need to find
> > something else that will.
>
> I'm beginning to think that fighting the spam itself is futile. What we
> should perhaps be focusing on is removing access to whatever is being
> spamvertised (frequently a get-rich-quick website, porn site, diet site, etc.
> - but generally a website somewhere, that can have the plug pulled).

Actually, my analysis of spam seems to indicate authentication of remote
SMTP servers through a process similar to joining this list would remove
99+% of SPAM.  i.e. the first email from a particular remote server that
is received, requires the sender to take some action (respond with a
password, click on a URL, etc.) before the mail gets through.  One of
these days I hope to write the procmail rules to do it (if I don't find
someone that has done it already)

-Ralph