Re: IP renumbering timeframe

  • From: Ralph Doncaster
  • Date: Mon May 06 13:05:34 2002

> What others have told you here is correct: when you terminated your
> contract with Cogent [any contract language nonwithstanding] you gave up
> your "right" to use any portion of their address space.
>
> As one person on here already pointed out, this is a good thing. Think
> about it.

What it tells me is I should have wasted enough space to consume 8 /24s
long ago, so I could get a /20 directly from ARIN.  I assign IPs to
customers very conservatively.  Multiple DSL customers with static IPs are
put on a shared subnet instead of one subnet per customer.  I easily could
have used 8 /24's a year ago and still conformed to ARIN rules.  At the
time I was only using 3 /24's.  We recently reached 8 /24s and applied to
ARIN a few weeks ago for a /20, but it sounds like the best thing to do is
to use IPs in the most inefficient way possible (while still conforming to
ARIN policy) in order to quickly qualify for PI space.

-Ralph