Re: anybody else been spammed by "no-ip.com" yet?

  • From: Bruce Campbell
  • Date: Sun May 05 08:16:31 2002

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Forrest W. Christian wrote:

> Anyone who thinks that government can pass a law and this will go away is
> hopelessly naieve.   The spammers will go overseas.  Besides, if you look

The spammers already use non-US machines in various ways to disguise their
(still predominately) US origin.

> been reported to the razor.  rbldns lists are effective only against the
> worst offenders, as the rest don't get reported until it is too late.
> and so on.

Hrm, I'm thinking that the focus is slightly off (ie, rejection doesn't
have to occur solely at the message delivery stage); assuming that you had
custom software, you could conceiveably get a real time feed of spam/open
relays/other criteria and periodically check your mail
that-you-have-received-but-not-yet-read against any new updates to further
get rid of more spam.  If you've got a few million subscribers who would
be further annoyed at spam/your abuse desk in receiving spam, this would
possibly be productive.

> I think the only other methods I can think of are best described as some
> sort of "web of trust" type method.  These are essentially whitelist
> systems.   In order to send me mail you have to *do* something.

How long before mailing list exploders are forced to only accept
pgp-signed/encrypted mail from its subscribers, and re-pgp-sign/encrypt it
when sending to subscribers ?

--==--
Bruce.