Re: anybody else been spammed by "no-ip.com" yet?

  • From: Forrest W. Christian
  • Date: Sat May 04 20:12:33 2002

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Eric A. Hall wrote:

> > Grandma would get 2c for each mail she received.  Grandma would pay 2c
> > for each email she sent. Where does that cause the problems you are
> > talking about?
>
> I send a lot more mail than grandma does.

Yes, but even if you send one a day and she never responds, this only
comes out to $7.30/year.

Hey, I'm not saying this is perfect.  I'm just saying that passing laws
and filtering and depending on admins to do the "right thing" just doesn't
work.  Ask people in those states which have anti-spam laws how many fewer
spam messages they receive than before.

We need something else.  It must be enforceable at the receiving side, and
we must be able to step into it gradually.  The best solution I've seen,
thanks to someone else on the list, is camram, which makes you pay for the
email sending with proving you have spent about 15 seconds worth of CPU
cycles.  In fact, I'm thinking this is probably a better solution than the
pay-per-message solution, as we don't have to worry about settlement, etc.
etc. which was the real problem with the pay-per-message.

- Forrest W. Christian ([email protected]) AC7DE
The Innovation Machine Ltd.                              P.O. Box 5749
http://www.imach.com/                                Helena, MT  59604
Home of PacketFlux Technogies and BackupDNS.com         (406)-442-6648
      Protect your personal freedoms - visit http://www.lp.org/