Re: anybody else been spammed by "no-ip.com" yet?

  • From: Bill Woodcock
  • Date: Sat May 04 19:02:04 2002

      On Sat, 4 May 2002, Eric A. Hall wrote:
    > "Forrest W. Christian" wrote:
    > > Anyone who thinks that government can pass a law and this will go away
    > > is hopelessly naieve.
    > Uh, thanks. The government has all kinds of property protection laws. My
    > mail spool is my property. Do the math.

Been there, done that, and it made no significant difference.  Both J.D.
Falk and I put a lot of work into getting tough anti-spam legislation
passed, and we were successful.  Here in California we now have jail time
for second-offense spammers.  Does it make a damned bit of difference?  No.
Was it worth trying?  Yes, of course.

The conclusion I came to at the time was that the bond-posting
micropayment schemes were the only way out of the problem, and I haven't
seen anything to change my mind on that since.  Whitelists are too
drastic, I think, but I'm slowly headed that way.

                                -Bill