Re: anybody else been spammed by "no-ip.com" yet?

  • From: Forrest W. Christian
  • Date: Sat May 04 18:06:50 2002

I've been roasted privately and called naive in thinking that pay-per-mail
is a valid solution.

Let me first say that the $0.02 I pulled "out of the air" was derived
simply by taking the $80/hr I bill to clients and dividing that by 3600
(number of seconds in an hour) thus $0.022.  I'd say that about 1 second
per email is probably real in relation to my time.

Let me explain why I've come up the pay per message as an answer.  I
realize that this has got issues with it - such as abuses of the
micropayment system, etc. etc. etc.

Anyone who thinks that government can pass a law and this will go away is
hopelessly naieve.   The spammers will go overseas.  Besides, if you look
at the content of a lot of the spams I receive I doubt the senders care
much about the law.   The junk fax law, in my opinion, worked primarily
because sending faxes from locations outside the us jurisdiction cost more
and there were few things you could provide from overseas which were
marketable via fax.

Anyone who thinks we're going to be able to educate people and make them
all close their open relays is going to make the problem go away is
hopelessly naieve.  There are just too many admins out there, most of
which are of the "I think running my own mail server is a good idea, but I
really don't have much of a clue about how the mail server REALLY works"
variety.  It's not possible.

That leaves technological measures.

Spam filters are a good idea, but spam is a very moving target.  I run
spamassassin (highly recommended) on a couple of mail servers.  When I
first install a newly-released version of spamassassin it is nearly
perfect.  Over a couple of months it gets less and less effective, at
which point I install the newest version, which improves effectiveness
again.  Occam's razor is good, but in reality only catches spam if it has
been reported to the razor.  rbldns lists are effective only against the
worst offenders, as the rest don't get reported until it is too late.
and so on.

I think the only other methods I can think of are best described as some
sort of "web of trust" type method.  These are essentially whitelist
systems.   In order to send me mail you have to *do* something.

The first option is a traditional "If you send me email and I don't know
you, I'll bounce the message and you have to reply with a specially
formatted mail message in order to get your mail through".  The main
problem with this model is that in circumstances where bulk mailing is
necessary (such as notifications of credit card payment due, etc.), you
run into a problem.   The other thing is that eventually, spammers will
learn how to respond to these messages automatically.

The second is more of a secure-smtp model, in that each mail server is
"Certificated" in one way or another and that you only accept mail from
"Certificated" mail servers.  One of the conditions of being
"certificated" is verification of anti-spam technological and other
measures (such as being able to identify spammers, etc.).  In a small
internet, this is a perfectly workable solution.  In a globally sized one,
it seems to me that the likelihood of spammers being able to work around
the system is as close to 100% as you can get.

The pay-per-message system I proposed was an outgrowth of the
"certificated" option.  In essence, my theory is that if you paid
*something* for each message you send, than everything should equal out in
the long run.  Generally, other than mailing lists and spam, I send about
1 message for every one I receive.  A spammer sends tens of thousands of
messages for every one he receives.  There are a whole new set of problems
caused by this which I think have mostly been mentioned - to summarize,
they mostly relate to the technical problems with doing this, plus the
possibility of abuse of the system, etc. etc. etc.

Someone pointed me to a discussion of camram at
http://harvee.billerica.ma.us/~esj/camram.html.  I initially *like*
something like this option.  In short, it forces the sender to spend a lot
of CPU cycles for every message they send.  Need to send a lot of email,
well, spend a LOT of cpu cycles.

The point I was trying to make with the pay-per-message is that the real
cause of spam is an economic one.  That is, the cost of sending the spam
is less than the profit the spammers make from the spam.   If we can
increase the cost of sending the spam, then we will lessen the
profitability of sending it, and the problem will diminish substantially.
Remember almost 100% of the spam is driven by greed, and if we can't
satisfy the greed of the spammers, they will go elsewhere.

- Forrest W. Christian ([email protected]) AC7DE
The Innovation Machine Ltd.                              P.O. Box 5749
http://www.imach.com/                                Helena, MT  59604
Home of PacketFlux Technogies and BackupDNS.com         (406)-442-6648
      Protect your personal freedoms - visit http://www.lp.org/