Re: anybody else been spammed by "no-ip.com" yet?

  • From: Scott Francis
  • Date: Sat May 04 00:38:30 2002

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 08:13:52PM -0400, [email protected] said:

> Picture it as a fellow stopping by every night and filling your home
> mailbox with horse manure...I'm sure you'll get a feeling for how most of
> us regard it.
>
> A) it wastes bandwidth
> B) It wastes our time
> C) It's the "litter" of an otherwise clean Internet.
> D) It's a method of placing the costs for the actual emailing on someone
> else without their explicit permission...the ISP, the user, and the ISP's
> other paying customers all pay for the act, either directly or indirectly.
>
> We need to make it illegal as soon as possible everywhere.....

Overall, an excellent post - very good illustration of why spam is wrong.
However, I prefer to solve this problem, created at the union of technology
and business (however un-businesslike spamming may be, the motivations are
business), with a solution that's a mix of technology and business. Namely,
using technology to effectively quarantine and blacklist spammers and those
who support them (whether actively or passively), which will eventually make
spamming and supporting spam so painful to the bottom line that no carrier
will allow it. We just haven't got there yet.

I really would like to hold off governmental involvement as much as possible.
Using Congress to solve technical problems is like using a hammer to cure a
hangnail: It may fix the problem, but generally you find that you'd rather
have kept the problem than taken the solution.

Naturally, the technical solution will only work if everybody supports it.
Whether or not _that_ will ever happen is another kettle of fish entirely.

--
Scott Francis                   [email protected] [home:] d a r k u n c l e . n e t
Systems/Network Manager          [email protected] [work:]         t o n o s . c o m