RE: Effective ways to deal with DDoS attacks?

  • From: Barry Raveendran Greene
  • Date: Sat May 04 00:29:33 2002

Jason described uRPF in Loose Check mode. This check to see if the source
exist in the FIB. It cuts out some of the garbage while providing you a tool
to do a remote-triggered (via BGP ) drop tool. Think of uRPF as a tool to do
source based black hole filtering.

uRPF Strict Mode is the original tool to help scale BCP38 filtering. This
checks the FIB and the adjacency - insuring the source address of the packet
coming into the interface has a patch to get back (hence checking the
validity of the packet). This is a ISP-Customer edge tool. It _does_ work
with multihomed customers for the most common multihoming configs. Just set
that BGP weight on the customer's peering session.

It is getting a little old, but check out the following:

	http://www.cisco.com/public/cons/isp/documents/uRPF_Enhancement.pdf

	http://www.cisco.com/public/cons/isp/security/

1cgcr/secur_c/scprt5/scdrpf.htm

Its not checking cef to see if a route is there.... its making sure that a
packet