Re: anybody else been spammed by "no-ip.com" yet?

  • From: Dave Israel
  • Date: Fri May 03 18:59:34 2002

Content providers have to recieve and hold spam mail before they
delete it.  People and mailing lists who have well-published addresses
can recieve hundreds of spam messages a day.  I know that, without my
filters, I would easily spend 30-45 minutes a day downloading,
identifying, and deleting spam mail.  Not counting the frustration,
that's costing the company money.

I heard somewhere that ~$2 of an AOL users' monthly bill goes towards
spam management.  (IS there an AOLer who can confirm or deny?)  AOL
has some 10 million users.  That's a lot of dough a month to handle
what appears to be no big deal.  SPAM is a milder version, but it is
no better than if telemarketers called you collect to try to sell you
crap.

-Dave

p.s. Also, if you're a parent, do you think the spammer knows how old
you are before sending you "Teenage Girls Doing Farm Animals! Click
here?"

--
Dave Israel
Senior Manager, IP Backbone Engineering