Re: Effective ways to deal with DDoS attacks?

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Thu May 02 13:14:06 2002

At 12:23 PM 02-05-02 -0400, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

Thats what the IP2 does, match bytes in the headers and come back with a
thumbs down or a thumbs up and a destination interface. It's really not
that much harder to match the bytes for a dest port against a compiled
ruleset and decide yes or no then it is to match the dest address against
a forwarding table and decide which nexthop.
Looking into the IP header is not enough. In order to filter DDOS packets one has to look into the payload as well. I don't think routers are suitable for that level of filtering (think advanced NBAR).

Hank
Consultant
Riverhead Networks (formerly Wanwall Networks)
www.riverhead.com

They CAN filter on anything in the headers, it's just a matter of
convincing them that the specific filter you want is something they should
add to their software language and microcode. I'm sure as a core router
vendor they must hear every feature request imaginable and not know which
ones to follow up on. If anyone from Juniper is listening, I can tell you
4 things to add which will stop all existing packet kiddie tools in their
tracks. But then again, I'd rather just have a language for bitmatching at
any offset. :)