Re: Effective ways to deal with DDoS attacks?

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Thu May 02 04:48:46 2002

There is one more usefull policy to decrease effectiveness of attacks such as
DDOS.

This is _refusal_ policy. In case of SYN attack, if system ALWAYS accept SYN
packets, dropping old waiting half-open connections if there is not enougph room,
SYN attack became much less dangerous - if 90% traffic is DDOS and 10% traffic is
usefull, most _right_ connections will compleet succesfully (because if room for
the half-open connections is big enougph, DDOS packets will drop mainly other DDOS
related connections).

It's a common approach - NEVER refuse new requests for the resource, if there is
not enougph resource, drop some of the old users of the resource... In a lot of
cases, it will derevent deadlock because you will be dropping the users who
exhausted resource more than _correct_ users. It relay to the half connections,
memory, etc etc...

If case of _random_ IP addresses - ok, what's happen if you'll drop (always) FIRST
packet from any new IP address? For the good SYN packet, you will receive a second
request in a second; for a false one, you just filter out DDOS itself. This is not
universal, but for the simple DDOS it will work.

It's not too bad to slow down all connections (by requesting _repeated request_,
for example) instead of blocking them.

So, I think things are not so bad.