Re: Large ISPs doing NAT?

  • From: Jake Khuon
  • Date: Thu May 02 04:35:39 2002
  • Action:
  • Dcc:
  • Expires:

### On Thu, 2 May 2002 01:20:40 -0700, Scott Francis
### <[email protected]> casually decided to expound upon Peter Bierman
### <[email protected]> the following thoughts about "Re: Large ISPs
### doing NAT?":

SF> The average customer buying a "web-enabled" phone doesn't need a
SF> publicly-routeable IP. I challenge anybody to demonstrate why a cell phone
SF> needs a public IP. It's a PHONE, not a server.

Time to start thinking a little further down the line.  What if the phone
actually becomes an wireless IP gateway router?  It routes packets from a
PAN (personal area network) riding on top of Bluetooth or 802.11{a,b} to the
3G network for transit.  NAT would certainly become very messy.

--
 | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | --------------- |