Re: Effective ways to deal with DDoS attacks?

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Thu May 02 00:39:17 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Wojtek Zlobicki wrote:

> > > What processes and/or tools are large networks using to
> > > identify and limit the impact of DDoS attacks?
> >
> > A great deal of thought is being expended on this question, I am certain,
> > however, how many of these thought campaings have born significant fruit
> yet,
> > I do not know.
>
> How about the following :
>
> We develop a new community , being fully transitive (666 would be
> appropriate ) and either build into router code or create a route map to
> null route anything that contains this community.  The effect of this being
> the distribution of the force of the attack.

How about no. How about you do this inside YOUR network, perhaps get an
agreement with your peers to accept a /32 route from you and you can do it
with your peers also in times of need... There is something ominous about
'automagically propogating' a blackhole route.

1) I hack connected ISP X
2) I inject www.ebay.com /32 blackhole route
3) no more ebay

I use ebay as an example of course, I wouldn't want them harmed cause how
would I be able to buy all that nice routing gear at bargain basement
prices without them? :)

> This aside, how effective would be using a no export community with ones
> peers (being non transitive, it would still distribute the force of the
> attack).

For YOUR PEERS this is a fine idea, provided this fits with your peer's
edge policies and doesn't step on his already-used community.