RE: Large ISPs doing NAT?

  • From: Steven J. Sobol
  • Date: Wed May 01 22:35:24 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Deepak Jain wrote:

> I'm more concerned that if the major metropolitan markets deploying GPRS
> all use NAT, then the Next Big Thing won't ever happen on GPRS devices.
> Customers won't jump ship if they have no where to jump to.

The only people who'd be deploying GPRS are GSM cellular providers, no?

Verizon and Sprint PCS, in particular, are not using GPRS, but migrating
to CDMA-based 3G cellular technologies. I don't know that those
technologies use CDMA.

And of course, there are still markets like my very own hometown (2nd
largest city in Ohio) that don't have GSM yet (even though #1 and #3 do).
VoiceStream is supposedly launching their GSM network in Cleveland
(*snort* I've heard that before). But they're not here yet, AT&T is
nowhere near doing GSM here as far as I know, and Cingular's network here
(former AmeriBlech Cellular) is TDMA.

I could be completely off base, of course. Being a customer of Sprint PCS
and Verizon, and a former customer of Alltel and Northcoast PCS, I've not
had much reason to follow GSM developments; every one of the companies
I've used runs CDMA. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

--
Steve Sobol, CTO (Server Guru, Network Janitor and Head Geek)
JustThe.net LLC, Mentor On The Lake, OH  888.480.4NET   http://JustThe.net