Re: Effective ways to deal with DDoS attacks?

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Wed May 01 21:01:29 2002

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 05:18:24PM -0600, Pete Kruckenberg wrote:

> A rather extensive survey of DDoS papers has not resulted in
> much on this topic.
>
> What processes and/or tools are large networks using to
> identify and limit the impact of DDoS attacks?

"DDoS attacks" is such a generic term. There are a wide variety of attacks
which each need to be handled in their own way, the extra "D" is just one
possible twist. Can you explain what kind of attack you're interested in?

I've tried to compile a list of the *practical* things everyone needs to
know (but usually doesn't) to handle DoS effectively, try reading:

http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras/projects/dos/dos.txt