Re: incorrect NXDOMAIN response from DNS server

  • From: Simon Lockhart
  • Date: Thu Apr 25 02:09:10 2002

On Thu Apr 25, 2002 at 11:30:27AM +0900, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
> 	there are name server implementations (probably load balancing product)
> 	that responds with NXDOMAIN, when it should respond with NOERROR with
> 	empty reply.  one example is news.bbc.co.uk.

Guilty as charged. Seems to only have been a problem since the deployment
of IPv6

> 	do you know:
> 	- name of particular implementation which have/had this bug?

"BBC Intelligent Load Balancing DNS Server"

> 	- other examples of nameservers that behave like this?
> 	  (windowsupdate.microsoft.com behaved like this in Feb 2002, but
> 	  they are already fixed)

Oh, so it's not just us.

> 	- how can we get people to fix it?  (client side workaround should
> 	  not be populated, just to be sure)

Name and shame seems to work ;-) I believe I have now fixed it. Please let me
know if you think otherwise.

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart                       |   Tel: +44 (0)1737 839676
Internet Engineering Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1737 839516