Re: [OT]Microsoft makes networked software 'illegal' on XPunless you pay them...

  • From: Richard Forno
  • Date: Sun Apr 21 09:24:38 2002

That's funny.

Yet another case of someone - either a company through licensing and
litigation, or a government through legislation - trying to effect both
software quality.

Forget the fact that such tools may be exploitable - if you're a computer
criminal, the fact you're violating a software license clause probably isn't
going to deter you from your actions, much like how 'drug crimes using a
gun' probably doesn't deter many drug criminals, either.

Instead of addressing the technical problem - eg, poor software development
and flaws in how the software works -  we're once again seeing it
legislated/litigated away (I'm thinking of Adobe E-Reader, DeCSS, etc here).
Talk about burying your head in the sand, which appears to be the status
quo, even in today's environment of security hysteria where we 'need to do
more'.

>From what I see here in DC, nobody's REALLY interested in addressing
security long term, as it will rock the boat too much; so we continue seeing
little goofy ways to look like security is being addressed when in reality,
security ISN'T being addressed.

rf
infowarrior.org
windows-free since 1999 :)