Re: is your host or dhcp server sending dns dynamic updates for rfc1918?

  • From: Simon Higgs
  • Date: Sat Apr 20 01:17:09 2002

At 06:41 PM 4/19/2002 -0700, Pete Ehlke wrote:

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 06:32:58PM -0700, Simon Higgs wrote:

> SOAs with bogus.domain.names pointing to 127.0.0.1 appear to be causing
> email to bounce (amongst other things).

Ermm... Do you have any actual evidence for this assertion?
Not yet. But the common thread to this is that every domain that vanishes (and causes email to bounce) has got a bogus MNAME entry (i.e. MNAME is unroutable). This isn't a root specific problem as legacy root users have reported this problem alongside ORSC users. The bogus MNAME may be a red herring, but it's what we're looking at as a possible common cause.

An mta that
examines MNAME is horribly, horribly broken. I can't imagine anything
but the worst sort of spamware actually doing this.
Yes, but given that all software is broken by nature, and that there is a filing cabinet full of CERT advisories, why would you be surprised at either SendMail or BIND being the culprit under certain circumstances? Maybe even for a totally different reason.

Best Regards,

Simon

--
###