RE: is your host or dhcp server sending dns dynamic updatesfor rfc1918?

  • From: Vivien M.
  • Date: Fri Apr 19 16:23:07 2002

We have the same problem here; people get a shiny new hostname like
blah.dyndns.org and set their computer to that name. It starts
bombarding our servers with update attempts; I'm not the one here who
handles looking at BIND logs, but I think even a year ago or so we were
getting like 5 update attempts per second. It's probably WAY more now,
since our userbase has like doubled in a year.

We used to try to hunt the people down and get them to turn it off; we
don't anymore, there's just too many of them... It's not just Win2000,
either: ISC's DHCP client (or server?) version 3.something (might have
been a beta?) and I think WinME (and naturally, XP since it's just 2000
on steroids) have been known in the past to send us those silly
updates...

And then, there's the problem of people whose mail servers think their
domain is dyndns.org and their *NIX cron sends mail to [email protected]
instead of root on their machine, but that's an entirely different
issue...

Vivien
--
Vivien M.