Re: is your host or dhcp server sending dns dynamic updates for rfc1918?

  • From: Paul A Vixie
  • Date: Fri Apr 19 11:34:10 2002

this was sent personally, but i'm answering to the list.

> It might help the A Root, at least, if the SOA record listed
> bogus.root-servers.net instead of A.root-servers.net, and then a record
> mapped bogus.root-servers.net to 127.0.0.1. That should keep Win2K and
> follow-ons from sending dynamic updates to the root zone.

now that we have separate servers for the rfc1918 ptr zones, these updates
are not going to the root servers and indeed cannot affect the root servers.

since ddos attack backscatter shows up in these log files, it's darn useful
to centralize the logging for it.

any AS owner who wants to localize these updates can do so by simply
anycasting the 192.175.48/24 netblock and serving dns on .1, .6, and .42.