Re: is your host or dhcp server sending dns dynamic updates for rfc1918?

  • From: Adrian Chadd
  • Date: Fri Apr 19 02:37:07 2002

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002, Martin J. Levy wrote:

> Paul,
>
> > now as to who's responsible, ...
>
> I hate to say it, but "Microsoft".  This is the default for w2k and the like.  The interesting thing is that it's got a very short timer for retries and hence why your logs are so big.  I found this...
>
>  http://www.isc.org/ml-archives/bind-users/2001/02/msg01806.html
>
>  http://www.domainregistry.ie/tech/dynamic-dns.html

.. time for a BCP, perhaps?

> I also thought that w2k and the like should not do a dynamic dns update if it's on private IP space, but that's not a valid test either, as the "enterprise" may well only exist in private IP space.  (Yes... they should run their own zone for the reverse dns).

What _should_ happen IMHO is that this becomes an option thats off
by default, rather than on by default. The amount of time saved by admins
having this turned on is probably negated by the load placed on
bind servers all over the planet - perhaps someone should send M$ an
invoice.. :P

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"For a sucessful technology, reality must
<[email protected]>	  take precedence over public relations,