Re: Links between cabinets at commercial datacentre

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Thu Apr 18 13:07:48 2002

> ... So - that is the larger picture, but was not my question to NANOG.
>
> We wish to be able to provide this peering, but we find that UUnets
> cross-connect policy interferes with our aims - as it requires potential
> peers in the data center to separately purchase connectivity to us (in
> the same building) instead of hopping onto our link by cross-connecting
> to another cabinet in the data center, which (of course) they waive
> for connections to the CINX cabinet.
>
> My question was if this was common practice.

yes, it's common for a hosting facility (which uunet cape town is.)

it would not be common in a carrier/fiber hotel.  if there is one of
those in town you'd be well served to talk to the landlord about
supporting a peering exchange there, since it will drive other sales,
and the openness of it will ultimately pull business away from the
necessarily-more-closed peering exchange over in the hosting center.