Re: Links between cabinets at commercial datacentre

  • From: Adam Herscher
  • Date: Wed Apr 17 19:29:36 2002
On 17 Apr 2002, Paul Vixie wrote:

> someone like exodus or qwest or at&t or uunet or abovenet would be very
> likely to prevent their customers from directly cross-connecting.
> mae-west (55 s market) won't allow it either.  paix, equinix, switch and
> data, and other "neutral colos" won't allow it to occur without a fee
> but the fees are reasonable (unlike, say, the cross connect fees at
> mae-west.)

UUNet's never put up any roadblocks for me in crossconnecting between
cabinets in their datacenters (2 cabinets belonging to different UUNet
customers).  They've done it quickly too -- here's the response from a
UUNet engineer from the last time I asked:

> > If this is NOT an Out-of-Band cross connect (POTS, ISDN, whatever)
> > contacting your sales person will not be necessary. Are you simply
> > attempting to join cabinets [X] and [Y] via a Cat5 connection??? If
> > this is the case let me know what ports in the patch panels you want
> > the cross connect terminated to and I can send the request to have
> > this done today.

Their quote for bringing in outside bandwidth (having a circuit punched
down at the datacenter + crossconnected to a cabinet) was relatively
little too -- something to the tune of $50/month iirc.

At my request, they even allowed me to have a circuit run directly
through their datacenter bypassing their equipment altogether.  I flipped
the bill for the UUNet-contracted outside vendor to do the cabling.

>From what I've heard, Exodus is a bit more hell-bent on forcing customers
to use Exodus (err cw) bandwidth, but even they obviously make exceptions
for their larger customers (and perhaps those that threaten to walk?).

> there's no answer to the question, as posed.  "can you be more specific?"

I think the poster was inquiring as to common practice.

ISPs will do whatever they can to make a buck.  In some cases this could
be forcing customers to use their own bandwidth by preventing
crossconnecting within their datacenter.  In other cases, it could be
realizing that some customers require/value/will pay for such services.

In cases where there is little or no competition, it certainly seems like
the former would be more profitable (however disappointing).

Regards,
Adam