Re: references on non-central authority network protocols

  • From: Joseph T. Klein
  • Date: Mon Apr 15 12:17:44 2002

Please submit an IETF draft ... a thread to this effect has popped up
in the Ptomaine group now and then since in theory you can also aggregate
the same way on a regional or continental basis.

Do you have a good algorithm for the allocation?

Do you use the projected population based on WHO estimates for the next
50 years?

Do you have an algorithm for adjusting the density of the allocation
grid by population density?

How do you deal with large IP clusters that fall outside the population
grid such as high density business centers.

Who adjudicates collisions within the same grid square? For an example
of a problem site take the Sears Tower in Chicago?

The devil is, as always, in the details.

--On Monday, 15 April 2002 03:41 +0100 Jasper Wallace <[email protected]> wrote:

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Thus spake "Patrick Thomas" <[email protected]>
> I am looking for any and all research (and perhaps your
> comments), references, etc. regarding replacements for the
> TCP/IP protocol that do not require centralized authority
> structures (central authority to assign network numbers).

Please explain how you think any protocol could support non-trivial numbers
of users without some arbiter to prevent address collisions.
Location - either distribute all the addresses evenly over the planet or try
to map to population density.

(the higher your density of sites, the more accurate your coordinates need
to be).

you could aggregate addresses by doing something like:

2 hemispheres

36 'triangular' chunks spaced every 10 degrees latitude.

then split up in longditudernal stripes.

but i think you'd be better allocation on the basis of population density.

How exactly you'd make the social and economic changes to get to a system
like this vs, the telcos/isps we have now is probably more trouble than it's
worth ;-P

There are several alternatives to TCP being researched, but there are
currently no viable alternatives to IP.
--
Internet Vision          Internet Consultancy           Tel: 020 7589 4500
60 Albert Court            & Web development            Fax: 020 7589 4522

--
Joseph T. Klein                                         +1 414 628 3380
Senior Network Engineer                                 [email protected]

   "... the true value of the Internet is its connectedness ..."
                                                -- John W. Stewart III