Re: references on non-central authority network protocols

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Mon Apr 15 10:09:43 2002

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 03:41:49 BST, Jasper Wallace said:

> Location - either distribute all the addresses evenly over the planet or try
> to map to population density.

This works well (sort of) at the DNS level - that's why we have ISO country
code domains. ;)

However, you can't do this well at the "routing a packet" level (which is
where IP lives) because you can't aggregate routes very well.

Try computing what happens to your routing tables in the Boston, NYC, or
Silicon Valley area, or anyplace else there's a fairly high density of
high-tech, and multiple providers.  In the worst case scenario, you have
an office building that has Genuity customers on floors 2 and 7, Sprint
on 1, 3, and 9, a company on floor 4 and half of 5 from another vendor,
and 4 suites on each of floors 6 and 8, each of whom are dealing with a
different small ISP.

You think we got problems with punch-out prefixes *NOW*. ;)

Figuring out what this means for "wardriving" is left as an exercise for
the student ;)
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer