RE: genuity - any good?

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Fri Apr 12 14:58:53 2002

Hmm. From a coding point of view you are certainly correct. From a
troubleshooting POV, prefix lists are superior, because it is much easier to
tell, at a glance, what the ACL is supposed to do, particularly for less
experienced engineers. This is a significant advantage. However, it can be a
big project to convert a large, installed base of extended ACLs to
prefix-list ACLs, so that might be why Genu has held off. Even with a script
or other tool, there is still a chance for some customer downtime.

As far as requring exact ACLs, rather than allowing "greater than or equal
to" type ACLs - there are a couple good reasons for this. One is, to ensure
maximum route aggregation by your customers, and potentially prevent serious
deaggregations. This may also help with troubleshooting.

Of course, it's less convenient for customers, and requires more interaction
and changing of ACLs, which can cause downtime. I suspect the best practice,
at this point, is autogeneration of ACLs using IRR database entries, and
tools like RTConfig or their homegrown equivalent.

- Daniel Golding