Re: genuity - any good?

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Fri Apr 12 01:34:45 2002

> >> I've gotten attractive pricing from Genuity but I haven't used them
> >> in a couple years.Is there any reason I wouldn't want to use them
> >> as a third upstream OC3 provider?

Been using them since 1999 when we (AS378) bought transit at AADS via
Nap.net->GTEI->BBN->Genuity.

Over the course of 3 years we have had only two major problems with them:
- August 1999: multiple install problems, from providing us incorrect
passwords, improper in-addr.arpa records for the link, wrong vpi/vci
assignment, etc.

-November 2000: we lost ATM connectivity to BBN (Ameritech did an ATM
switch upgrade) and the BBN NOC Superviser was non-cooperative and
close to abusive.  Escalation worked and we got mugs and BBN T-shirts for
all our NOC staff out of it :-)

Since then, not a single complaint. Their NOC today is very good. They
also provide secondary for all our NS stuff.  Every time there is some
serial problem or other DNS problem, they spot it immediately and send us
an email to alert us to the problem.

Their sales staff is also clueful for a change.

For an ISP in the top 10 as per CAIDA, I'd give them an A-.

Hank