RE: packet reordering at exchange points

  • From: Jim Forster
  • Date: Thu Apr 11 02:57:12 2002

> > To transfer 1Gb/s across 100ms I need to be prepared to buffer at least
> > 25MB of data. According to pricewatch, I can pick up a high density
512MB

> Why ?
>
> I am still waiting (after many years) for anyone to explain to me the
issue
> of buffering. It appears to be completely unneccesary in a router.
>
> Everyone seems to answer me with 'bandwidth x delay product' and similar,
> but think about IP routeing. The intermediate points are not doing any
form
> of per-packet ack etc. and so do not need to have large windows of data
etc.

> I can understand the need in end-points and networks (like X.25) that do
> per-hop clever things...
>
> Will someone please point me to references that actually demonstrate why
an
> IP router needs big buffers (as opposed to lots of 'downstream' ports) ?

Sure, see the original Van Jacobson-Mike Karels paper "Congestion Avoidance
and Control", at http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/papers/congavoid.pdf.  Briefly,
TCP end systems start pumping packets into the path until they've gotten
about RTT*BW worth of packets "in the pipe".  Ideally these packets are
somewhat evenly spaced out, but in practice in various circumtances they can
get clumped together at a bottleneck link.  If the bottleneck link router
can't handle the burst then some get dumped.

  -- Jim