RE: [Q] BGP filtering policies

  • From: Borchers, Mark
  • Date: Tue Apr 09 15:38:21 2002

If you'll look at this pointer to one of ARIN's pages, it lists
the minimum allocation size for each CIDR block that IANA has
given ARIN to manage.  From what I've seen, most providers accept
at least up to the prefix length that the RIR's are using, if not
longer.

http://www.arin.net/statistics/index.html#ipv4issued2002

Unfortunately, this doesn't help in your case.  My company also
has /14's from the traditional class A space.  I know of only one
case in two years where a customer reported a problem arising
from holding a small assignment out of these blocks, which was
ultimately corrected by renumbering the customer, a solution which
does not scale well.

Worst case, however, unless your UUNet connection goes down, you'll
still be able to reach most places via your other transit and peering
(since /24 is the closest thing to a "universal" allowed prefix length)
and will have full reachability via UUNet.  IMHO, accepting up to /24
in any of the space listed on the above URL is good service provider
practice.