Re: More Questions of Exchange Points

  • From: Ruomei Gao
  • Date: Sat Apr 06 21:59:25 2002

> > I did observe 2 exchange points have direct connection between them, does it mean
> > they belong to the same switch fabiric?
> 	What does this mean?

I mean in a trace (from traceroute probing), 2 exchange points (in Mr
Woodcock's list) are next to each other.

.... ip of AS1, ip of EP1, ip of EP2, ip of AS2, ....

I thought they are connected to each other directly (probably the
connecion is not as simple as the p2p link between 2 routers).

> > Are those private peering points?
>
> 	confusion of terms.   When bits cross an administrative boundary
>       [...]

Sorry, I did confuse peering with transit. But I thought those private peering
points are somewhat similiar too the IXs, ISPs exchange traffic there and they
may also provide transit to the customers there.

> 	So.  Is this one exchange point (one switch), four exchange points
> 	( 4 VLANS), or five exchange points ( 5 subnets)?  Which ones are
> 	public? Which ones are private?  and why?

Is this case very common?