More Questions of Exchange Points

  • From: Ruomei Gao
  • Date: Fri Apr 05 13:18:27 2002

Hi,

I am a graduate student of computer science, now I am working on Internet
exchange points. Following the discussion of exchange points last month, I
have some more specific questions.

1, Some of the exchange points are layer 2 facilities, then why do they need
register IP addresses? Furthermore, those IP addresses do appears in the
traceroute traces (from the skitter data of caida). Does this mean that these
IP addresses are actually in use? Then how the layer 2 exchange
points work?

2, How do you categorize the exchange points into large/local IXs,
transit/peering IXs (besides look into the peering policies)? From the number
of participants? Or from who are the participants?

Thanks.

Ruomei Gao
Email: [email protected]