Re[2]: gtld-servers returning multiple A records for a NS?

  • From: william
  • Date: Thu Apr 04 07:42:56 2002

That is exactly the situation of original question - having two ips for
same dns server. It is not possible to register new dns server this way
but long time ago when internic dns/whois system was originally introduced
(pre 1990 to around 1994) it was possible and some companies did that,
plus I think some of it came out of original hosts files maintained by NSF
network participants and how it was converted that domains had one dns
server with multiple ips (this is before my time; this is what I'v been told
by older sysadmin who originally introduced me to dns in around 1991) but
I indeed seen multiple ips for first one or two dns servers for some of
the oldest domains (xerox had it, ibm I think; great number of edu domains
- these all disappeared when transfered to educause), lately these old
dns records all have been disappearing.

Now it appears there is reverse situation - some registrars allow (and
verisign no longer gives an error) to register dns servers in different
domains all pointing to the same ip. I belive they may have some stupid
idea to help/encourage using shared hosting and preserve ip space.