Re: Stealth p2p network in Kazaa and Morpheus?....

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Wed Apr 03 11:23:42 2002

On Wed, 03 Apr 2002 10:55:05 EST, Anthony D Cennami said:
> The utilization of your network is something that you should address in
> your AUP.  If your clients accepting the license agreement on their
> network/peer-to-peer software interferes with the operation of your
> facility or bandwidth then perhaps it's time to sit down at the drawing
> board again.

Of course, there IS the fact that under UCITA, it appears to be legal to have
an EULA that has unreasonable terms that you can't read until after you've
agreed to the EULA - or that have implications that the end user doesn't
fully understand.

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/02/11/020211opfoster.xml

Did you know that you gave Microsoft the right to download stuff onto
your computer that would (for instance) intentionally disable your
Netscape browser, or other third-party software?

(And yes, I *know* Microsoft says "you can turn off 'auto update'" and
that they will warn you before installing anything - the point is that
once you've accepted the terms, they're not *obligated* to let your turn
auto-update off or tell you they're updating anything....)

So - if you've agreed to this, Microsoft is *allowed* to download a
distributed computing client to your system the next time you connect.

All your users that installed the software *did* agree to this, right?
I mean - if they didn't, they're using the Microsoft product illegally. ;)
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer