RE: Qwest Transit

  • From: Fred Heutte
  • Date: Tue Apr 02 19:39:54 2002

Bear in mind that the financial situation at Qwest is bad.  They are
getting ready to take an estimated $20 to $30 billion writeoff
on accounting restatements (mostly of "goodwill") and will probably be
sanctioned by the SEC, as indicated in wire stories today.

http://www.salon.com/tech/wire/2002/04/02/qwest/index.html

Their Portland office is across the street from me, and my phone and
DSL is dependent on them of course, so this is of direct concern in
my case!

I should mention that despite its deserved reputation for greedy
management (whether as Pacific Northwest Bell, U S West or now
Qwest), ops has generally been pretty good and the retail (consumer/
small business) DSL service, from my personal experience, is top notch.
(Of course, they run it on FreeBSD so that should tell you something :)

We certainly know from experience that a major financial upheaval can
affect operations at least indirectly (loss of management attention,
budget cuts, deferred maintenance, cutbacks in monitoring and response
systems, etc.).  On the other hand, it's not a good idea to overreact
to news like this.  So I would proceed with due caution concerning Qwest
transit.  As a wise person once said, don't put all your routes in one
pipe.

Fred