Re: Where does the buck stop?

  • From: Jeff Ogden
  • Date: Sun Mar 31 17:48:26 2002

At 3:21 PM -0500 3/29/02, Sean Donelan among other things wrote:
If you are a customer of provider A, and the problem is inside providers
B network what is the appropriate method to get provider B to fix the
problem?

  1. Call provider A. Open a trouble ticket.  Provider A forwards
     the ticket through the chain of providers to Provider B.  Provider
     B accepts the trouble ticket.  B find the problem in their network
     and fixes it, closing the trouble ticket back to A.

  2. Call provider A.  Provider A says its not a problem with A's
     network and closes the ticket.  A tells customer, call Provider B.
     User looks up Provider B's contact information.  User calls Provider
     B and is told, we don't take calls from non-customers, call Provider
     A. Rinse and Repeat.

  3. Call lawyer. Sue Provider A and B for tortious interference with
     the user's peaceful enjoyment of the Internet by negligently and/or
     fraudently propagating false routing information and failing to
     correct the problem after being notified by the user.
Or

2a. Call provider A. Provider A says its not a problem with A's
network and closes the ticket. A tells customer, call Provider B.
User looks up Provider B's contact information. User calls Provider
B and Provider B opens a trouble ticket. B finds the problem in
their network and fixes it, closing the trouble ticket back to the
user.

2b. Call provider A. Provider A says its not a problem with A's
network and closes the ticket. A tells customer, call Provider B.
User looks up Provider B's contact information. User calls Provider
B and is told, we don't take calls from non-customers, call Provider
A. User replaces Provider A with a more responsive provider and moves
back to option 1.

I like option 2b better than option 3. Both 2b and 3 will take longer than you want, but 2b is likely to be faster than 3. 2a isn't my favorite path, but if it gets the problem fixed, I can live with it.

-Jeff