Re: Help with bad announcement from UUnet

  • From: Mark E. Mallett
  • Date: Fri Mar 29 14:37:30 2002

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 01:18:10PM +0100, Anne Marcel Roorda wrote:

>   Having a support model in which anyone can call any NOC about a
> problem they're having does not scale very well.

I felt justified in calling UUnet.  I know the conversation had
morphed by the time you made the above comment.  However in my case
UUnet was propagating an announcement that was stepping on one of
ours; the owner of the netblock was there to say that he did not want
that announcement being made; the UUnet customer making the
announcement (who I would rather have dealt with) was apparently
operating without a crew.  Here was a conversation between directly
affected parties.  It came down to who was bothering who: was it UUnet
bothering me by announcing my route, or was it me bothering them by
asking them to stop?

The model of "I won't talk to anybody who isn't my customer" is
probably almost always right, but it does not work for every single
situation.  With that stand, you wouldn't have an [email protected] contact.
Sometimes your actions directly affect somebody and you should be
willing to deal with the consequences of that.

While their initial reaction in my case was "I can't talk to you,"
they did indeed reconsider and help out.  Thanks again.  It happened
pretty much at the instant I asked for help here, which is the usual
sort of kharma..

BTW as I mentioned when I contacted Genuity, they advised me to contact
UUnet directly.  So by inference at least one large carrier (Genuity)
seems to feel that contacting them directly is appropriate.

-mm-

my once-per-year posting average is really blown now..