RE: 1024-bit RSA keys in danger of compromise (fwd)

  • From: Len Sassaman
  • Date: Mon Mar 25 22:58:28 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Deepak Jain wrote:

> If its a big surprise that any key of any arbitrary length can be cracked in
> finite time and in finite resources, I think people haven't been thinking
> about the information presented in the security books out there. Most of the
> estimates that say anything is "unbreakable" don't recognize that Moore's
> law is real, and accelerating...

That is a falicy. Moore's law is most certainly not accelerating -- in
fact:

1965-1990 Moore's law stated that the number of transistors per square
inch on integrated circuits (and therefore, the speed) doubles every 2
years. The pace has since slowed down a bit, but appears to be holding
steady at doubling every 18 months (1995-present).

http://www.physics.udel.edu/wwwusers/watson/scen103/intel.html

However, this trend cannot continue forever. In 1997, Moore predicted we
would reach the physical limits on transistor miniaturization somewhere
around 2017. Whatever the actual date, we will need a break-through in
computing to continue to obtain performance increases over time past this
point.

--Len.