Re:RE: 1024-bit RSA keys in danger of compromise (fwd)

  • From: rkuhljr
  • Date: Mon Mar 25 21:39:44 2002

Does NSA need compromising US-based CA's private keys ? Probably not, because they either

(a) already have the private keys, obtained thru a combination of political, financial and intelligence resources.

or

(b) already have proceedings with the CA's in order to issue valid look-a-like certificates for any domain they want.

If you look from the NSA's point of view, the investment might still sound reasonable for cracking the private keys.

Rubens Kuhl Jr.