RE: 1024-bit RSA keys in danger of compromise (fwd)

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Mon Mar 25 20:33:51 2002

Exactly. Why think $2B is some insurmountable barrier when there are far
cheaper ways of  getting what you want. Most computer people think of
security only in terms of computers. Bribing a few night security guards is
far cheaper than even cryptanalysis and will give any sufficiently
interested party access to the machines signing the keys.

At present, if you have the sophistication to break an "interesting" key,
you could have the sophistication to not be detected MITM. The difference
between inserting/replacing a valid flow, and simply listening [unless the
attacker is stupid] isn't that big a difference from a detection [of the
attack] point of view.

Again, I am assuming things about the attacker that makes them scary. If the
attacker is a little kiddie using his home broadband connection, he is not
necessarily going to be able to use that information for anything
particularly harmful.

Yes, but the trust architecture out there today are far more vulnerable
[IMO] than the underlying key-encryption. Again, while key negotiation is
interesting and important, RSA/DSA/etc are only used in that stage, and
generally the underlying connection [for performance reasons] moves with a
significantly less bulky encryption algorithm. Blowfish, IDEA and a few
others come to mind.

It is far more trivial to capture and compromise an instream algorithm than
worrying about the key at the get go is [unless you are trying to
permanently compromise a victim, at which point the CA is an easier target
anyway]. This is especially the case when you allow for dedicated hardware.

I have always been of the opinion that all of this internet-widely-available
encryption is primarily to make customers feel safe and save credit card
companies some liability. There wasn't enough thought put into it at all
levels to make it more safe/secure than that.

No one is going to spend millions of dollars to get at most the same
millions of dollars of back in credit card fraud [good money after bad].
Anyone who is relying on these commercial architectures to secure gov't
secrets or secrets worthy of an intelligence outfit's attention is a moron
[for numerous reasons]. If all you are doing is trying to secure machines
against script kiddies, starting huge public debates and initiatives and the
like seems like overkill to me. [investment is greater than reward]. YMMV.

Deepak Jain
AiNET