Re: Verio as an DS3 upstream provider - comments?

  • From: Douglas A. Dever
  • Date: Mon Mar 25 02:33:56 2002

Previously, Mark Radabaugh ([email protected]) wrote:

> > Subject: Verio as an DS3 upstream provider - comments?
> >
> > I'm looking into possibly using Verio as an additional
> > upstream provider.
> >
> > If you have any experience with Verio, can you give me any
> > feedback on them?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > - mz
>
> Given the rapidly shrinking size of the geographic area served, the sale
> of all of the dialup business to Earthlink and the closure of many of
> the data centers I would not be surprised to see significant depeering
> with Verio in the near future.

Empty datacenters don't push or pull bandwidth.  Closing those hardly
affects peering policy.  I don't see this as a major concern at the
moment.

> Billing is an utter basket case.  I really like the part where Verio
> closed the Toledo POP and left town but is still billing us for service.
> I'm waiting for them to call and threaten to shut us off - that should
> be a fairly humorous conversation.

I still like the fact that the Toledo POP fit in the trunk of my car,
but that's beside the point - the important thing is that I still
owe you a hot dog next time I'm in town. :-)

> The network itself was decent.  Good connectivity and low latency but I
> wouldn't expect it to last much longer.

Speaking for extensive personal experience - Verio has a heck of a
backbone.  And if you're in one of the cities they plan on continuing
to provide access in, then they'd be a viable option - If you know
what you're doing and don't need much support from your upstream.

--
Douglas A. Dever
[email protected]