RE: long distance gigabit ethernet

  • From: Greg Pendergrass
  • Date: Fri Mar 22 11:57:49 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard A Steenbergen [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 11:47 AM
To: Greg Pendergrass
Cc: '[email protected] Edu'
Subject: Re: long distance gigabit ethernet

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 10:36:22AM -0500, Greg Pendergrass wrote:

> I'm looking at long-haul gigabit ethernet as a possible solution versus
> traditional SONET and I'm a little bit wary as promises made on web pages
> and white papers aren't *always* completely accurate.  I'd appreciate it
if
> you all would share your experiences with it. By long-haul I mean in the
> hundreds or thousands of miles. I need to know:
>
> a. Does it work properly?
>
> b. Who offers it in the continental US?

I'm going to take a stab and assume that you're actually more interested
in finding a longhaul line with GigE on the ends, and not so much how many
miles you can get with whatever optics...

Absolutely right, I don't care what's in between as long as I have GigE at
the end. Other options include using wave (too expensive), or ethernet over
MPLS (worth considering although latency may be too high for longer that
1000 miles).

GP