Re: Question re. SSH

  • From: Bob K
  • Date: Thu Mar 21 20:01:44 2002

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 11:50:22AM -0500, Steve Sobol wrote:

> I have a customer who wants to get a static ip with his dialup. He uses SSH
> extensively
> and plans to do X11 forwarding, and if he gets disconnected and redials and
> gets another
> IP the previous sessions would be inaccessible.
>
> I can do static IP but I want to try to save the guy a couple bucks. :)
>
> Would a static IP be required to make sure he doesn't lose those X11
> sessions after a disconnect?
>
> Asking here because I figure my chances of getting an accurate answer are
> better here than on
> any of the other mailing lists I read.

His best bet would be to use vnc - http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/
or one of its variants.  Failing that, a pptp connection using RFC1918
addresses for the two endpoints could do the trick, but I'm not sure how
X would deal with the icmp host unreachable messages that would be
received when the pptp session goes down (would probably kill them).

It should also be noted that vanilla vnc is not encrypted (but can be
forwarded over an ssh connection or ssl'ized or <insert your favourite
method here>).

--
Bob <[email protected]> | It's pretty good, if you don't think about it.