Re: Telco's write best practices for packet switching networks

  • From: Jake Khuon
  • Date: Mon Mar 11 07:12:49 2002
  • Action:
  • Dcc:
  • Expires:

### On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 04:49:46 -0500 (EST), Sean Donelan
### <[email protected]> casually decided to expound upon Vadim Antonov
### <[email protected]> the following thoughts about "Re: Telco's write
### best practices for packet switching networks":

SD> My simple question is why do exchange point prefixes or backbone
SD> network prefixes need to be announced to peers or customers?
SD>
SD> This has been something which has bugged me ever since I connected
SD> a router to mae-east.

I think the main justification one could use (and I don't necessarily agree
with this) is to aide in troubleshooting.  Announcing the space may make it
easier for multiple parties to troubleshoot through their backbone.  On the
flipside of this argument of course is why not filter that space to only
your NOCs and engineers?  Now the counter-argument to that might be that
the space starts to add up in terms of bloating ACLs and such.  One could go
back and forth on this all day I suppose including arguments for and against
troubleshooting from production devices vs troubleshooting from a backend
system.

Another reason mae-east was announced at least historically may have been to
help support activities such as the Routing Arbiter Project.  I know from
experience that due to the nature of how they were positioned within
exchange points, the routeservers needed to be reachable by Merit personnel.
However, the proper solution there should have been for only Merit's primary
transit provider to carry those routes and possibly filter as much as
possible the space except to Merit.

There were workable solutions even back then.  I think we all just chose the
path of least resistance because it was easier and the risk factours were
perceived to be low.  We all know that was a false assumption.  I remember
the first smurf attack against mae-east and how it knocked out quite a few
peers.

--
 | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | --------------- |