Re: Telco's write best practices for packet switching networks

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Fri Mar 08 09:49:31 2002

On Friday, March 8, 2002, at 08:39 , Ron da Silva wrote:

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 04:48:49AM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

...I don't think I can put it any more clearly. There has got
to be a push from the USERS of this equipment (not just one user, all
users) to get line rate, full packet filtering capability on ALL
interfaces on EVERY router, everything from the smallest foundry or 1700
to the largest 12416 or M160 or Avici. If users don't start asking for
this 2 years ago it'll be another 4-5 years before its a reality. The
vendors will NOT push forward on this without a significant cash incentive
(like everyone saying: I need this so do it for me).
So it appears that we are in agreemnet after all!  :-)  (And we've been
saying the above for at least 4 years now...)
Since at least one vendor has got the message and ships hardware that *will* do line-rate filtering on high-speed interfaces, perhaps the answer is to modulate vendor selection accordingly. There's a significant cash incentive, for you, or at least a significant non-cash disincentive.

Joe