Re: Equinix Exchange Point

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Thu Mar 07 22:42:56 2002

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 09:15:20PM -0500, renster wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> <putting on an SBC hat>  We peer on the switch at Equinix-Ashburn with at
> least one other network not listed on your scan below.

Well, while I'm sure there are at least SOME people who are not in the
unicast peering vlan, or for whatever reason block pings, but by far the
vast majority of the people who they claim to be active are not.

Don't get me wrong, I think Equinix offers the best carrier neutral colo
service by far. But this has been a nagging problem for a while, I've gone
down the list and spoken with engineers at the respective companies, and
most of them say they're not installed yet and won't be for at least a
couple/few months. In some cases I know for a fact that the equipment
doesn't even have power cables plugged in, and yet they've been listed as
a "switch participant" for 6 months or more. Through time this will get
better of course, but I still consider it something akin to deceptive
advertising if you're going in there because of who you think you can peer
with.