Re: Telco's write best practices for packet switching networks

  • From: Steven M. Bellovin
  • Date: Wed Mar 06 10:33:12 2002

In message <[email protected]>,
"Christopher L. Morrow" writes:

>On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Ron da Silva wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 09:41:55AM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> >
>> > In message <[email protected]>, Eric Brandwine writ
>es:

>> > Precisely.  You *may* need a packet filter to block things like SNMP
>> > (to name a recent case in point), but a general-purpose firewall is
>> > generally the wrong solution for appliance computers.
>
>There is no need to drop traffic for things that aren't listening. Eric's
>point was you deploy your fancy-dan mail server with ONLY 22 and 25
>listening, you know that's all  that's listening and your
>daily/hourly/weekly/monthly automated audits tell you this continually and
>alert when there are problems/deviations.  So, why filter anything in this
>case? It's wasted bandwidth/processing power.

I was agreeing with Eric's point.  I've been saying this for years.  My
comment about the packet filter was to deal with services that are
needed for some internal purposes, but for some reason can't protect
themselves.  Right now, that's snmp -- you may have snmpd running on
your mail server, but given the recent CERT advisory you need to keep
the bad guys away from it.  (Yes, you should install fixed code -- but
given how many components were affected by that advisory, it's quite
obvious that no one has had time to test the fixes properly.)

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com