Re: DNS timeline

  • From: David Conrad
  • Date: Thu Feb 28 20:34:15 2002

Simon,

As with all good marketing and/or tabloid periodicals, spinning events such
that they have one or two grains of truth makes the stories more believable.
Not true, just more believable.

To be clear: a fracture does not indicate fragmentation -- if so, the DNS
has been fragmented ever since people figured out how to do firewalls and
have their own internal domains not be published externally.  As for Bill
Manning representing the IANA, it typically requires the consent of the body
being represented as to who is doing the representation.  As I was not at
the meeting in question, I have no idea the truth as to how Bill presented
himself (I am, of course, skeptical of your assertions, but stranger things
have been known to happen).  However, Jon Postel _always_ (at least when I
asked him) denied anyone could represent the IANA except himself or Joyce.
As you say, who am I to argue with Jon?  I'll not comment on your assertions
regarding "alt.roots".  Suffice it to say we view things differently.  Oh,
and how is the DNS server you are writing coming along?

In any event, rehashing this ancient history (and in particular, your
"interesting" interpretation of events) is all very amusing, but I seriously
doubt anyone actually gives a shit.  Perhaps we can agree to disagree?
Didn't think so.  Feel free to have the last word -- you've entered my
"delete unread" filter.

Rgds,
-drc

http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200202/msg00242>>