RE: Satellite latency

  • From: Jeb R. Linton
  • Date: Thu Feb 28 11:04:40 2002

Very true, though in Ku band, the figure-8s should lie entirely within a
couple of decibels of peak for the beamwidth of your dish.

Likewise, the DBS satellites in question (GE-4 I think, but don’t quote
me) uses spot beam antennae, so realistically there's a great deal of
what could be serviceable surface area in North America which they may
or may not choose to light up.

I also use "DirecWay" as my main internet link, working from home every
day. When the system isn't buffering, the ping time is about 700ms...
But ping time is a bit funny. During higher load, pings are apparently
buffered more than, say, web cache traffic, so I can see several-second
ping times even when general traffic is flowing well and SSH sessions
are fairly responsive.

Speaking of responsive, this system uses a Web proxy system with
software loaded on the client machine that allows other PCs to take
advantage of it through Windows "Internet Connection Sharing" of the USB
interface; the central proxy pulls down your web page as multiple TCP
sessions and sends it to you as a single, separate session; no end to
end ACKs. Ends up working pretty well.

The only apps where it is really noticable, as others mentioned and as
we would all expect, are SSH/Telnet (which takes some getting used to
can be done), and interactive sessions like Terminal Services,
whiteboarding, shared desktops, gaming etc... These are effectively
unusable.

- JL